Yesterday I had the privilege of spending an hour or so with the co owner of Columbus Birth and Parenting, Catie Mehl. I met her in their Worthington office, which is beyond adorable. It's in the cutest building on High Street and when you walk into the office you immediately feel a sense of warmth and very welcome.
I sat down with Catie to discuss the 1st Annual No Child Wet Behind 5K and Family 1 Mile Walk, but as we spoke I got to learn a lot more about Catie, her history, her passion, and why not only the 5K is an important event for Columbus families but how important Columbus Birth and Parenting is to our community.
- 1 in 3 families don't have an adequate supply of diapers
- Not having enough diapers leads to diaper rashes, severe diaper rashes, open wounds, and can lead to child abuse and even infant mortality.
- On average 12,000 kids (UNDER 2) per day in Franklin County are affected by families not having enough diapers. That's 1/3 of all kids in Franklin County.
- There is currently no government funding for diapers (Diapers are not covered under WIC)
- The average cost of diapers is $100 per month
- Studies have show that not having enough diapers affects the mental health of women more than not having enough food
No Child Wet Behind started in New York City 4 years ago - and this is the first year that it was rolled out to other cities. 38 cities will be hosting their own No Child Wet Behind for the first time this year and I am so glad that Columbus is part of that group. I feel very passionate about this cause because when my daughter was young, I was a single mother with a low paying job, and I know what it's like to need to make difficult choices on a limited income.
I hope you'll join me on May 21st at the 1st Annual No Child Wet Behind 5K and 1 Mile Family Walk presented by Columbus Birth and Parenting benefiting The Columbus Diaper Bank. Sign up here. If you can't make the race but you would love to help this amazing cause, send me an email or comment here and I can point you in the right direction. If you are coming to the race and would be interested in bringing a pack (or more) of diapers they will be collecting donations on site!! You can also view their Amazon wish list - here and send donations straight to their office.
Thank you Catie and Leah for bringing attention to this cause. 12,000 kids are affected by this per day right here in our city - we can change this!